Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Syncopation

Sometimes a character will surprise you.

We have been planning our characters out for about two months now. We had them pretty well figured out. All of a sudden, one of the characters didn't feel right. I didn't even realize it was happening until it had already happened. It hit me like a ton of brick-shaped character development. All of a sudden, things made sense, and I didn't even realize that they made no sense. Because this character suddenly changed, we've had to change our time line a bit. I think the changes worked in a big way, but time will be the true judge.

One of the best things about this minor overhaul to our script is how we (Jessie and I) were completely in sync. I realized that we needed a change about halfway through Saturday. I felt from the beginning that there was going to be an argument over this. I prepared myself for the argument, came up with every reason I could to justify changing something we had worked on for two months. Finally we were able to get together and talk about the script and I was prepared for a knock down drag out. After all of this, Jessie listened to what I had to say and agreed. She had been feeling that there was something off about that character as well. I've never felt like I was on such a similar wavelength with a writing partner. I'm looking forward to all the work that needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment